What can we do?
1) Try switch to a more secure WPA(Wi-Fi Protected Access) network. WEP network is vulnerable to hacker. We will be able to change it from WEP to WPA through therouters configuration page, provided that the routers support WPA or WPA2. Most of the latest routers support it. If yes, on the page about wireless settings, under security options, you will be able to see that. Take a screen shot of the details before changing anything so you can revert it in anytime.
2) Or we can reduce the signal range, limited in our house only so it is not strong enough to be selected by the hacker. For Example, just change the mode of the router to 802.11g instead of 802.11b.
3) Back to the dialed-up ages.It is not really dialed-up but somehow you will need to connect the routers to your computer with network cables. Turn off the wifi of your router and connect network cables to your router. This is the safest way. When hacker cannot detect your connection, they cannot hack into your line. Also, you get higher speed for this compared to wireless connection.
How can we speed up the network?
Other than signing up a higher speed package (provided you have blocked all the hackers from stealing your connection), what we can do is to change the placement of the router (although the effect might be very little).
1) Place the antenna in Vertical, which is to point up. You can have a look on this image for how the signals beam out. This is to maximize the range of coverage. * For images, please view it from my blog as Expertscolumn does not support it*
2) Avoid obstructions, eg wall, or close to other electronics.
3) On a Central position in the house.
4)Elevated. Place it as high as possible. Which is why you can always see the router of a wireless hotspot is placed higher from the ground.
For the link to my blog: http://mylifeaswriterangelicxine88writer.blogspot.com/2012/05/how-to-check-if-your-internet.html
If you are interested to know more about what you can do to trace the hacker or detect whether your connection is stolen, you may want to read this article from this link:
*I own the full copyright of this article and it is originally published on my blog. If you like it, you may share it on facebook or tweet it. Have a nice day!