What’s the biggest country in the world? What’s second? Third? Find out here!
During a five hour drive to our holiday destination in France, my six year old boy inquired “Dad, why is it taking so long? Is France the biggest country in the world?” Although it must’ve seemed that way to my young son, it isn’t of course. So what are the biggest countries in the world?
1. RUSSIA: 17,098,242 sq km / 6,601,669 sq miles. Quite simply, the largest country on the planet accounting for 11.5% of the entire world and even bigger than all of Antarctica.
2. CANADA: 9,984,670 sq km / 3,855,103 sq miles. The largest country in the Americas and Western Hemisphere.
3. USA: 9,629,091 sq km / 3,717,813 sq miles. When lakes and other bodies of water are excluded, the USA is actually bigger than Canada in terms of land mass alone.
4. CHINA: 9,595,961 sq km / 3,704,408 sq miles. Although some ‘lists’ place China above the USA, according to official UN statistics China comes fourth in the list of biggest countries. It is the largest country entirely within Asia.
5. BRAZIL: 8,514, 877 sq km / 3,287,613 sq miles. The largest country in South America and the Southern Hemisphere.
6. AUSTRALIA: 7,692, 024 sq km / 2,969,907 sq miles. The largest borderless country (and also considered a continent in its own right).
7. INDIA: 3,287,263 sq km / 1,269,219 sq miles.
8. ARGENTINA: 2,780,400 sq km / 1,073,519 sq miles.
9. KAZAKHSTAN: 2,724,900 sq km / 1,052,090 sq miles. The largest landlocked country in the world.
10. SUDAN: 2,505,813 sq km / 967,500 sq miles. (Includes South Sudan.)
Source: United Nations Statistics Division.
If you are interested in writing your own articles on absolutely any subject and earning royalties for your efforts then why not begin today? It’s completely free and very easy. Simply use my referral link here – I’d be very happy to help you get started and answer any questions you may have! http://expertscolumn.com/referral/65788dbc
The author originally published this article here: http://trifter.com/africa/top-ten-biggest-countries-in-the-world/