Two weeks from now and it’s school time again in the Philippines. Some children are excited, but most still want to extend their vacation. But for parents, it’s one of the most expensive time of the year. For first time parents, Believe me, they are more excited than their children are. Below are some tips for first time parents:
1. Visit the school – by now, your child has been enrolled already and just waiting for June 4 to come. I advise you to visit the school along with your child and so he/she will have the feel of the school he will be entering. This will somehow give him familiarity of the place without the hustle and bustle of children, parents and nannies on the first day.
2. On the first day itself, be with your son or daughter. Talk to the teacher and tell the teacher whatever special concerns you have for your kid. Don’t let your child feel that you are afraid to leave him/her in the school, else she will get the vibes from you and will be scared herself too.
3. Don’t make false promises. Don’t promise you won’t leave even if you are. If you promised you will stay, then stay. It will make them feel secure inside the classroom knowing that you are outside waiting for them. Don’t make their first day experience in school horrifying.
4. If you decide to leave your child in school be sure to be on time to pick her up, this is very important as everyone is still a stranger to her, even her teacher. So be sure to be there before the bell rings.
5. Ask him/her about her day. Make it a cheerful conversation, encouraging her to talk about nice things in school. If you have the time, try to do his/her assignment together and make sure both of you are enjoying while learning.
These things worked for me when it was my first time to send my little princess to school. I hope this will help you too.