An irritating sore throat is usually the start of a respiratory infection, such as the common cold. Here's a list of remedies to improve and reduce symptoms of a sore throat. Most importantly, they help to prevent any future episodes of respiratory viruses.
Sore Throat Remedies
Good oral hygiene and selecting the correct nutritional foods will keep infections from developing while strengthening the body's immune system.
1. Zinc is a mineral with an ability to reduce the effects and severity of a sore throat, and help ward of future episodes. Cheese and yoghurt contain zinc that have a non-acidic texture that's refreshing, cooling and easy on a sore throat. Other foods high in zinc are eggs, grains, lean meats and sea food. Zinc strengthens your immunity when taken in moderate amounts. If you take zinc supplement tablets, be careful not to consume more than 40mg a day as this will weaken your immune system.
2. Yoghurt's are natural cooling sore throat remedies. Bio yoghurt's kill bacteria and protect the body by alleviating any side-effects during and after taking antibiotics for respiratory viruses. Yoghurt improves oral hygiene and boost the immune system by helping to fight against harmful bacteria.
3. One of the oldest sore throat remedies is Vitamin C. A mix of Five pieces of fresh fruit and vegetables a day is enough to supply the body with adequate amounts of Vitamin C, as well as other essential vitamins and minerals. Vitamin C rapidly increases the effectiveness of the body's immune system, helping to clear up bacterial infections.
4. The most satisfactory sore throat remedies is honey, combined with fresh lemon. Both honey and lemon contain antibacterial, antifungal and anti-inflammatory properties. Mix a chunky slice of lemon and a large globule of honey into a mug, pour over hot water, stir the mixture until the honey has dissolved completely. Combine them, or use either in hot water.
5. Salt water(sodium chloride)has the unique ability to kill bacteria, causing them to lose water content and die off. Add salt to a glass of warm water and stir thoroughly. Gargle with the salt water for 20-30 seconds and spit the contents away.
6. Although lacking in scientific evidence, Chicken soup is considered a natural remedy to help ease the symptoms of many illnesses, and is used often for that purpose in a variety of countries. Chicken soup is beneficial in combating flu and cold symptoms due to its anti inflammatory properties.
7. Without taking in enough fluid, the inside of your mouth becomes dry and allows bacteria to thrive, which makes a sore throat feel unbearable when accompanied with a dry cough. Constantly sipping small amounts of water will stop your mouth from drying out and irritating the lining of the throat.
8. Inhaling hot steam will help to unclog any blocked sinuses, shifting mucus and bacteria. Place a bowl inside a dish and fill it with boiling water. Put a towel over your head, hang over the bowl and start to slowly inhale the hot steam. The hot steam can cause coughing at first so don't sit with the bowl in your lap. Add a small amount of vics vapour rub or a drop of Lavender. keep your eyes closed when inhaling hot steam and don't put your face too close to the hot water.
If you've any sore throat remedies of your own you'd like to share with everyone, please feel free to leave them in the comment box.