The Samsung Galaxy Note is a smartphone, a media player, a notebook, a camera, a media editor, and a business tool in one amazing slab of a device. It runs on an Android Operating System – Android OS, v2.3.5 (Gingerbread). It’s safe to say that it’s more of a large smartphone, rather than a small tablet.
Its 5.3-inch HD Super AMOLED screen offers a tablet-like display with a size that's not too imposing. It can still fit in your pocket. Specifically its physical measurement of 147mm (5.78in) tall and 83mm (3.27in) across makes it a bit awkward to hold for individuals with small hands.
Images clearly come alive with the Samsung Galaxy Note's 1280x800 resolution with 16 million colors. You can clearly capture photos with its built-in 8 megapixels rear camera. It also features a front facing 2 megapixel camera for video chat or taking photos not requiring a higher resolution.
Storage is not a problem for it features an internal storage of 16GB/32GB plus 1 GB RAM. The microSD can accommodate up to 32GB.
What are the exciting features of Samsung Galaxy Note?
It looks very much like a stylus but Samsung calls it the S Pen, a pressure-sensitive or capacitive stylus that can execute a lot of superb tasks such as taking down notes, sketching, doodling, scribbling, or use it as a digital paintbrush with brush tips and colors that can be modified according to your creative mood.
The Mini Diary app is basically what it's named after - a diary. If you love to write about your daily escapades or document the most recent events this seemingly simple app will come in handy. Combined with the S Pen, the Mini Diary is a great business and strategy planning or presentation tool.
Specific Features of the Samsung Galaxy Note
Samsung Galaxy Note at a glance
• Form factor: phone/tablet crossbreed
• Dimensions: 146.9 x 83 x 9.7 mm
• Weight: 178g
• Display: 16M-color 5.3” Super AMOLED capacitive touchscreen of WXGA resolution (1280 x 800 pixels)
• OS: Android 2.3.5 Gingerbread, TouchWiz UI
• Chipset: 1.4 GHz dual-core Cortex-A9 CPU, Mali-400MP GPU, 1GB of RAM, Exynos chipset
• Camera: 8 MP autofocus camera, 1080p video recording, LED flash, 2 MP front-facing camera
• Memory: 16/32 GB internal memory, expandable via a microSD card slot
• Connectivity: quad-band GSM/GPRS/EDGE and quad-band (850/900/1900/2100 MHz) UMTS with 21 Mbps HSDPA and 5.76 Mbps HSUPA support, dual-band Wi-Fi a/b/g/n, Wi-Fi direct, Assisted GPS, Bluetooth 3.0, microUSB connector
• Battery: 2,500mAh
• Misc: S Pen, Gyro sensor, accelerometer sensor for auto rotation, ambient light sensor, Adobe Flash Player 10.3 support, DivX/XviD support, TV-out (adapter required), optional GLONASS, optional NFC
PROS and CONS of Samsung Galaxy Note
Fantastic display quality
Superb camera output
TouchWiz feature is a great plus for an Android device
Long battery life
Too large to use with one hand
Limited video playing capacity (only 4GB below)
Back plastic cover can easily get scratched
Default keypad is not spectacular
The Samsung Galaxy Note definitely has the features of a really great Smart Phone and a tablet. If you are searching for a device that has the features of a smart phone and a tablet in one gadget, the Samsung Galaxy Note fits the bill.
© 2012 Athena Goodlight