The triceps are notoriously hard to target and grow. There's something about this muscle group that defies fast muscle growth... unless you really know what you're doing. To help you get big triceps, I want to share with you a few tips that you need to keep in your mind. Follow these tips and you will get bigger triceps faster than you would have otherwise.
1. Do bodyweight exercises - The triceps are one of the body parts that's easy to exercise with your body weight as resistance. Bodyweight tricep exercises provide an easy way to work the triceps at home with minimal equipment. One fine example of such an exercise is the tricep dip which can be done with a couch or a chair at home. Another possibility is the close grip pushup.
2. Do compound exercises - The triceps are a small muscle group and it will never develop properly with just focused exercises. The triceps serve as supporting muscles in many other exercises, mainly chest workouts so make sure to do these as well. Exercises such as push-ups, dips, chest presses, and shoulder presses provide a great way to train the triceps in compound movements.
3. Work the triceps twice a week. Less than that is too little, more than that may be too much. You need to rest for 48-72 hours between each workout to allow the muscles to recover and grow. This means that working out twice a week should be right to produce the biggest muscle growth with a low risk of injury or pain.
4. Do focused tricep exercises such as lying tricep extensions, tricep pushdowns, kickbacks, close grip pushups, and so on after you do compound exercises. This will help you push the muscles to the limits and initiate bigger growth. Make sure to keep perfect form. While lifting heavy weights is crucial for fast muscle growth, you must maintain proper technique.
5. Eat right - To build bigger muscles, no matter which bodypart you're interested in, you have to eat right. You need to feed your muscles to allow them to grow. A diet high in protein and complex carbs is what you need to make sure your workouts don't go to waste. Eat often, eat lean, and give your body protein after each strength workout for the biggest growth.
Getting big triceps will take some time so you need to be patient. If you keep at it, there's no reason why you shouldn't get excellent results.