Make up a basket of treats for a friend, neighbor, or a loved on with choice dips and spreads as gifts.
Red Devil Dip
Mix 1 cup chili sauce and 2 tablespoons Red Pepper Paste (below).
Red Pepper Paste
¼ cup dry red wine
1 teaspoon ground red pepper
¾ teaspoon salt
¼ teaspoon ground ginger
1/8 teaspoon ground cardamom
1/8 teaspoon ground coriander
1/8 teaspoon ground nutmeg
1/8 teaspoon ground cloves
1/8 teaspoon ground cinnamon
1/8 teaspoon black pepper
2 slices of a medium onion
1 small clove of garlic
¼ cup paprika
• Place all ingredients except paprika in blender.
• Cover and blend on high speed until smooth, stopping blender frequently to scrape sides.
• Heat paprika in 1-quart saucepan for 1 minute. Add spice mixture gradually, stirring until smooth. Heat, stirring occasionally, until hot, about 3 minutes.
1 package (3 ounces) cream cheese or reduced-calorie cream cheese, softened
½ cup coarsely chopped walnuts
1 tablespoon lemon juice
2 teaspoons finely chopped green onion
Dash of garlic powder
• In a small bowl, stir cream cheese until smooth; stir in walnuts, lemon huice, green onion and garlic powder.
• Serve with whole wheat or pumpernickel party bread.
• Makes 1 cup.
Nutty Olive Spread
1 package (3 ounces) cream cheese, softened
½ cup finely chopped walnuts
¼ cup finely chopped pimiento-stuffed olives
2 tablespoons milk
Mix all ingredients
Creamy Chili Dip
2 packages (8 ounces) cream cheese or reduced-calorie cream cheese, softened
¾ cup vegetable juice (preferably V8)
1 can (4 ounces) chopped chilies
½ cup chopped pitted ripe olives
½ cup chopped sweet red pepper
2 teaspoons grated onion
¼ teaspoon hot pepper sauce
Fresh cilantro for garnish
• In a medium bowl with mixer at medium speed, beat cream cheese until smooth and fluffy.
• Gradually beat vegetable juice until smooth and thoroughly blended.
• Stir in chilies, olives, red pepper, onion and hot pepper sauce. Cover: refrigerate until serving time, at least 4 hours.
• Garnish with fresh cilantro. Serve with fresh vegetables or chips for dipping.
• Makes 4 cups.
¼ cup olive oil
1 medium eggplant, peeled and coarsely chopped (about 1 pound)
½ cup chopped onion
1 medium clove garlic, minced
¾ cup vegetable juice (V8)
¼ cup chopped pine nuts, toasted
2 tablespoons chopped fresh parsley
2 teaspoons soy sauce
1 teaspoon sugar
1/8 teaspoon pepper
• In 10-inch skillet over medium heat, in hot oil, cook eggplant and onion with garlic about 15 minutes or until eggplant is tender, stirring often.
• In covered blender or food processor, blend eggplant mixture until smooth.
• In medium bowl, combine eggplant mixture, vegetable juice, pine nuts, parsley, soy sauce, sugar, and pepper. Stir until thoroughly mixed.
• Cover; refrigerate until serving time – at least 2 hours.
• Serve with pita bread wedges or over crackers.
• Makes 3 cups.