Want to stay healthy and in great shape? Eat more fruit.
If you’re feeling tired, lethargic, or run down, take a look at your diet.
You are what you eat, so it makes sense to give your body the types of food that will nourish and sustain it. And when it comes to nourishment, you can’t get better than fruit.
Here are ten fantastic fruits bursting with goodness and health benefits. One or more of these every day should help restore your energy and balance your system:
1. Apples – Apples are a rich source of Vitamin C, a natural pain inhibitor, and are great for fighting migraine. So an apple a day could keep the headaches away.
2. Avocado – Avocados are full of Vitamin E and cholesterol-lowering mono-unsaturated fat. They also contain lutein which protects the eyes and glutathione which staves off mouth cancer. And a whole avocado is thought to be the nearest thing to the perfect food.
3. Blueberries – One of the so-called super foods, blueberries are bursting with antioxidants that mop up cancer-causing free radicals. They also contain vitamins C and A, potassium and folate, and are renowned for their memory-boosting powers.
4. Cranberries – Cranberries are a lot more than just a Christmas side dish. They’re antioxidant rich to reduce the risk of cystitis, and a natural barrier to prevent plaque forming on the teeth. Recent research suggests they may also prevent the formation of kidney stones, lower cholesterol, aid in recovery from stroke, and even help prevent cancer.
5. Grapes – The humble grape is another free radical fighter, which is also useful for battling heart disease. The resveratrol found in grapes helps to keep the heart muscle flexible and healthy.
6. Kiwi fruit - Kiwi fruits contain as much potassium as bananas, and more than enough Vitamin C for your RDA. They’re rich in Vitamins A and E, and the black seeds can be crushed to produce kiwi fruit oil, a source of Omega-3 essential fatty acid.
7. Prunes – Prunes are famous for being able to help regulate bowel movements, but they’re also packed with antioxidants. Prunes are a good source of potassium, and their soluble fiber helps stabilize blood sugar levels.
8. Raspberries – Raspberries are an excellent source of Vitamin C and fibre, renowned for preventing cancer of the breast and cervix. They also possess 50% higher antioxidant activity than strawberries, three times that of kiwis, and ten times the antioxidant activity of tomatoes. Wow!
9. Strawberries – Strawberries are high in folic acid and therefore recommended for mothers-to-be. They’re also rich in Vitamin C, help keep your eyes from degenerating with age, and research suggests that they’re associated with decreased rates of cancer death.
10. Watermelon – Watermelon is awash with lycopene and nature’s elixir; water. It’s good for dehydration and a great hangover cure. Watermelon is also rich in the B vitamins necessary for energy production.
If you need to get YOUR energy back, then eating fruit could be the answer. It’s cheap, it’s plentiful, there are loads of options, and it really works!
For more information on diet and nutrition, visit Health Secrets.