Know how to follow steps in doing various cooking processes like boiling, simmering, steaming, sautéing, roasting, frying, broiling baking and other.
Cooking is the process of preparing food by means of heat. It improved the flavor of the food, kills germs, and makes food appetizing and easy to digest. Using the correct tools and ingredients in cooking will help make each prepared meal a more appetizing and enjoyable for the family. Here are some common methods of cooking used in every home kitchen:
1. Boiling . Boiling is cooking food in liquid continuously until bubbles rise on the surface.
2. Simmering . This is cooking food in water or liquid before it reaches its boiling point, as in pasteurizing milk or cooking a soft-boiled egg.
3. Stewing . This is cooking slowly over low heat with just enough water to cover the food. Tough cuts of meat and dried beans are cooked by stewing.
4. Steaming . This means cooking food by means of steam.
5. Sautéing . Sautéing is browning food in a small amount of fat. To sauté, a small amount of fat is heated in a carajay. Garlic, onions, tomatoes and other ingredients are added in the fat together with the other ingredients. It is turned over frequently to prevent it from burning.
6. Roasting . This is cooking food over live coals. A whole dressed chicken, well-cleaned pig and calf, etc. is mounted on a long bamboo pole and turned continuously over the coals until done.
7. Frying . It means cooking in fat. Fish and chickens are usually fried.
8. Broiling . It is the same as roasting except that it applies to small pieces of food, such as small fish or pieces of meat. It can be done in the oven or over live charcoal.
9. Pan-broiling . This is cooking with very little fat or even no fat at all of pieces or slices of food like bacon or hamburger. This is usually done in a hot, non-stick pan or carajay. Thick pieces can also be cooked using this method but it will take time.
10. Baking . This is cooking in an oven, as in bread, cakes and cookies. Other foods like custard, chicken and pudding are also baked.
11. Popping . Popping is heating kernels of corn or rice is a covered pan, causing them to burst. They suddenly open when slightly shaken over the fire. Examples are popcorn and rice puffs.
12. Toasting . This is browning dry pieces of food such as slices of bread, potato, and banana.
note: originally posted at Exposeknowledge.com under the same author.