A nickel allergy is quite common. It often comes from prolonged skin contact with the metal. Nickel is found in most body jewelry, pens, keys, ear rings, watch bands, eye glass frames, hair pins, belt buckles and drinking water. If you suspect you have a nickel allergy you need to remove and jewelry or watches and belt buckles and treat the affected area. And avoid contact with the items that irritate your skin.
There are several symptoms of a nickel allergy. Most commonly are skin rashes and itching in the area that has come in contact with the metal. In more severe cases there can be blistering and oozing. Moisture and sweating most commonly make the symptoms worse.
A nickel allergy can not be cured but it can be treated. For Moderate to severe cases you may need to see a dermatologist. They will most likely prescribe you medications such as antihistamines or corticosteroids. Most of the time this skin allergy can be treated at home with a cold wet compress on the rash. This usually helps with the dryness and itching. Or you can try taking some Benadryl. Anti-itch lotions such as Sarna or calamine lotion often help soothe the itchiness of the rash and help it dry up quicker.