1. Never yell at your pet when he or she is scared. This will only make them more scared.
2. If you know that a certain event is going to stress your pet out too much, ask your veterinarian if there is anything you can give them to keep their stress levels down.
3. While you may allow your pet to sit with you while he or she is scared. Try not to give your pets too much attention while he or she is whining or shaking. This can encourage them to keep doing it just for the attention.
4. If you are going to be having a party that you think will stress out your pet, keep them in a room with some soothing music.
5. Never take your dog with you to see fireworks on the Fourth of July. The noise will undoubtedly terrify them.
6. Put your dog in a crate when he is scared. Many dogs feel that their crate is their safe haven.
7. Consider buying your dog ear plugs for holidays, such as the Fourth of July, when the noise will cause undue stress.
8. If you are traveling for the holidays, consider keeping your dogs at home with a pet sitter.
9. If you must travel with your pet on an airplane for the holidays, ask your vet for a mild sedative to keep him calm during the flight.
10. Stress can cause dehydration for your pet. Therefore, it is important to make sure your pet has plenty of water to drink.
11. Do not force your pet to socialize with your guests. If he is scared, allow him to go in a room by himself in order to decrease any undue stress.
12. If there will be children attending a holiday party, never allow them to harass your pet. This will only add to your pets stress.
13. Do not leave your pet outside when you know there will be noises, such as fireworks, that will scare them. They will find any way possible to get away from the noise, including running away.
14. If your pet does not mind water, keep them cool by gently misting them with water.
15. If you are traveling with your pet by car during the holidays, try to keep them as comfortable as possible. Keep them in a crate with a soft pad. Make sure you give them plenty of water. Also, stop for frequent potty breaks and take them for a short walk when you stop.